The Biodiversity, Climate and Environment (BCE) Group operates in one of the three priority areas of GIZ in China. The group currently manages seven projects via three technical teams (Climate Policy, Carbon Markets & Climate Finance, Biodiversity & Environment Protection).The projects summarised within this group are a clear recognition that supporting China in developing and implementing effective climate and environmental policies and cooperating with the country in the international climate governance system is critical to protect global public goods.
In line with China’s role as an emerging economy and crucial player in international climate and biodiversity protection efforts, the projects take a cooperation approach that emphasises exchange and mutual learning. Given the focus of the BCE Group, the ministries leading the cooperation process are the Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU) from the German side and the Ministry of Ecology and Environment (MEE) from the Chinese side. The basis for cooperation is the Memorandum of Understanding on Cooperation in Combatting Climate Change and the annual meeting of the Sino-German Working Group on Environment and Climate Change during which specific cooperation projects are launched.
Beyond promoting dialogue between the relevant ministries on both sides, GIZ is also assisting China in developing renewable energies and enhancing energy efficiency in industry and buildings. Other projects focus on provincial-level low-carbon development strategies, the introduction of the Chinese national emissions trading system and the implementation of the country’s nationally determined contributions (NDC).
Of the seven projects that make up the group, six are commissioned by BMU through the International Climate Initiative (IKI), while one falls under the develoPPP (public-private partnerships) framework of the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
As program director of the Sino-German Cooperation on Biodiversity, Climate and Environment, Dr. Alexander Fisher is at the helm of a dynamic set of international advisors.
Our three technical teams work on the subsequent topics:
- Climate Policy (Mitigation, adaptation, transparency)
- Development of cooperation within the nexus of Climate and Energy
- Coal-phase out
- Energy transition
- Track-2-Dialoge on four specific sub-topics of the climate dialogue (Green Recovery, Long-term Strategy, measurement, reporting and verification (MRV), Emissions trading scheme)
- Regional Cooperation on Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) with various provinces
- Cooperation in selected industry sectors (currently the cement industry)
- Carbon Markets
- Emissions trading scheme (ETS)
- Climate Finance and Green Finance
- The Montreal Protocol/ Hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HCFCs)
- Nitrogen oxides and nitric acid
- Environmental Policy
- Environmental Dialogue and Environmental Forum
- Water, Air and Soil
- National parks
- Climate Risk and Resilience (CRR) – commissioned by BMZ
- Sino-German Cooperation on Climate Change – Climate Partnership – commissioned by BMU
- Sino-German Cooperation on Climate Change – NDC Implementation – commissioned by BMU
- Sino-German Cooperation on Emissions Trading, Market Mechanisms and Mitigation of Industry-related N20 Emissions – commissioned by BMU
- Strategic Partnerships for the Implementation of the Paris Agreement (SPIPA) – commissioned by BMU
- Supporting the Climate-friendly Development of Jiangsu Province III – commissioned by BMU